Monday, February 20, 2012

The Vegan Bobcat

I don't know about any of you but have you ever seen a bobcat?


There pretty fierce! 

A force to be reckoned with for sure!

So you can understand why I was a bit hesitant to join my friends on a 5 1/2 mile "Bobcat Trail Run". I never even RSVP'd because I wanted an excuse to come up... 

One never did. 

My husband was home to watch the boys. Everyone was well. I had nothing else I had to do. There was no other excuse then fear. Fear that I couldn't do this. Truth is, I was scared. It's been awhile since I've ran regularly. Much less a TRAIL run on all kinds of terrain, up hill and down hill in a place where one may or may not see a bobcat!! Plus, I'm a new Vegan. This would not only test my physical agility but also test my nourishment level. Have I been doing my body good? Sure, I felt good but I hadn't done anything really challenging since I've become Vegan. Everyone knows that you have to fuel yourself properly to be an athlete or you can really hurt yourself. What if I failed? I didn't want to be known as "That Vegan girl who died on the Bobcat run".  


I use to run 5 miles in one day and call it "a little run". Now, here I was 7 months post-baby and fearing a 5 mile run. Oh how things can quickly change! Nevertheless, I sucked it all up and decided to be like Nike and just do it.

And just look at all the good company I had! We were happy but freezing!


Then we were off...


Lots of dirt and sand...and then the hills started...dun, dun, dunnnnnn!!!


This hill was huge. The first of MANY! I was gargling my heart by the time it was over but...


 I did it!! And so did everyone else!

It was a pretty grueling course. There were times when I couldn't see anyone in front of me or anyone behind me. Yet I had this inner peace that I was in good hands.


 The good Lord chose this moment to bring this verse to my head. 

"Don't be afraid, for I am with you. Don't be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand." Isaiah 41:10 

God is so awesome. He really is everywhere. Even on the bobcat run with little ol' me.

One by one we all finished...










We were all nervous and unsure but we pushed through and we did it! Together. I am so proud of all of us!

The human body is an amazing thing. It was on this run that I came to the realization that my body can do anything. I can eat a whole foods, plant-based diet, exercise, nurse my baby, take care of the day to day stuff and STILL do a Bobcat run! That's a beautiful thing! I may not be ready to run another half marathon just yet but I'm well on my way! I never thought that I could have enough energy and stamina to do this but I did it. And I felt GREAT afterwards!

Whose the fierce one now? 

Bravo, Vegan Bobcat!



1 comment: